A dining room can be so much more than just a table and chairs, so today we are here to prove that to you! There are a few key componenets that will really turn your room around! No matter what your style or budget is, these helpful tips are for everyone! Notice the attention to detail in the inspiration photos below that each designer considered; chair selection, lighting, mirrors, centerpieces and art work..
1. Stand out chairs will create a unique atmosphere for a dining room. Many times chairs will get lost if they match TOO much with the dining table! So mix it up and add different textures, color, patterns, ect. Another way to grab attention is to use different colors and materials for the captain chairs and the accent chairs.
2. Another important design element to consider is unique lighting. Not only will a great chandelier add a huge impact, it will create a specific mood. In Tim Clarke’s design below, he did an amazing job at focusing on the lighting fixture with an oversized pendant. Elements to consider while choosing lighting for a dining room is the size, shape, material and color.
3. Details in the design of a room are what will bring a room to life! Just like every other room, the dining room needs accessories as well, which is where the centerpiece comes into play. Many times people leave their dining tables undressed and that is what your room may be missing! Classic centerpieces such as candles or a floral arrangement always look great but there is also a way to step out of the box. Adding multiple items in various heights will add interest to your table as well as create a more proportional scale between the dining table and the centerpiece. Check out the dining room below that we designed for our client. The room was painted in a deep dusty blue and sheer drapes diffused the natural sunlight. And we added a playful feather napkin ring to contrast all the clean white tableware.The center is filled with flowers and candles in a variety of heights and floral types.
4. Strong art Pieces can make your space much more personalized. It will add character your space and give it that extra splash of color it may need! Whether it is one outstanding piece of art or a gallery wall, both will do the trick!
5. Mirrors are another resource for your dining room that will work wonders! The added reflection will add depth and beauty to your room, especially when reflecting a great chandelier! Check out this glamorous dining room posted on La Dolce Vita’s blog.
This summer we are indulging into the warmest color of them all… red! And not just any red, burnt red. It has a deep and vibrant appeal attracting attention with even the tiniest splash of its shade. Today, we are going to share with you a few of our favorite burnt red products, ideas and inspiration!
With this color it is easy to transform any room from dull to lively! Many stores are stocking up with some great red products that also have some really interesting and unique patterns. Check out some of favorite things from West Elm, Pottery Barn & World Market below!Since this color is so bold, it is really important to not overdo it, especially in a room where you want to keep the mood soothing and relaxing. Getting a multicolored pattern (like the one on the bench above) is the perfect way to break up the intense color. Also, patterns will help you bring in more colors and make it easier to create the color pallete you want to stick with. Without completely re-doing (and spending a ton of non refundable cash) adding pops of red to your drapery, wall color, pillows, lighting or accent chairs can make a big difference. Pair this color with greys, yellows, whites, navy blue or even aqua! Not sure where to start? Check out some inspiration pics we gathered below…
Thank you SO much Cohen family and HGTV for letting me into your home and selecting me to design the wreck room for the girls!! It was such a fun room to design and I’m so happy to have been given the opportunity to do this for you all. For those who missed Episode 4 of Design Wars on HGTV, or if you are looking for a re-cap, below are images and some info that I wanted to share.
The goal was to take an unused space and transform it into a youthful and fun place for the girls to enjoy with their friends, have sleep overs, and just hang out! Here is the sketch I did of my design and below are some additional pictures of the final room.
It was important to carry the spirit of these energetic girls in the room. I did this through the bright color scheme, flocked magenta wallpaper, stripped purple area rug, and the chartreuse drapes and desk chairs. I balanced all this color with the bright white desks & locker storage, white mirrors, and the glass chandelier. They girls are super active and play tons of sports, but they also take part in activities such as arts and crafts and watching movies with all their friends. Therefore, this room needed to have A LOT of functionality. When laying out the space plan, the first thing I decided was to dedicate a desk space for each of them so that they wouldn’t have to worry about sharing the coveted computer time! While designing the rest of the floor plan and selecting the furniture, I chose multifunctional seating, and kept in mind size, weight, and storage! These were important in selecting the final pieces.
I sprinkled things all around the room that the girls would use for inspiration and added elements such as the chalkboard wall where they could draw and write note, and the open shelves above their desks to display family photos and other awards and trophies. All in all, the room needed to be fun!
Hope you enjoyed the design and the show! I would love to hear your feedback! So feel free to comment or email me directly. If you missed the show, I’ll be posting a small clip of it on Youtube in a few days, so check back in for it!